Wednesday, June 17, 2009

VY talks to the local media

Vince Young talked to the Nashville media after Titans practice, something that he has done precious little of during his time as a Titan. He does not trust the local media, he believes they blow everything out of proportion and they do not print articles that are "friendly" to him and/or his point of view. He has no trouble talking to tv stations or media people from any city except NashVegas.
Today he spoke, again, about what happened during the Jacksonville game last September and the strange September night when police were called because his mother felt he was suicidal.

From the Tennessean:
" Wednesday, Young was back on the practice field at Baptist Sports Park as the team’s June minicamp continued. Afterward he volunteered to speak with local reporters and calmly explained his change of heart.“I really needed to get (things) off my chest and get it out of the way, because everybody has their opinions of the situation,’’ Young said. “Every time I say something it is always going to get … blown out of proportion so I just have to live with it. That is the life of Vince and I just have to live with it.’’

Young was defensive last season when asked about things like his demotion and whether he had quit on his teammates by initially refusing to re-enter the opener after being booed. Wednesday a much more collected Young said he’s learned a lot since then.“I know how to handle it now. I never regret anything that happened in the past because it taught me how to get more mature,” Young said. “I can’t feed into what the fans think … I never thought about quitting. I just have to worry about being a leader for my teammates. I can’t worry about the fans and how they feel about me any more. I just have to play my ball right now.’’


"Some people might think he should deal with stuff in different ways, but Vince is my friend, and I support him. I know what he can do,” Hall said. “People still look at Vince as a leader. If Kerry goes down we are going to look to Vince to lead this offense, so people will look to him as a leader and expect him to lead this team.’’

Young is looking forward. He said he wants to stay with the Titans and put the past — including those boos that sent him spiraling — in the past.“I give 100 percent to this team, to the fans and this organization and to this community, and how they felt about me at the time, that hurt me a whole lot, because that’s the type of guy that I am,” he said. “When I dedicate myself to something, I’m dedicated to it to the fullest, and when the fans (booed), it kind of hurt me a whole lot.“But now, I’m over that and more mature, more older now. I've got a lot of people in my ear helping me get through this process, to get back to the top where I need to be.''

Young said just a few weeks ago that he was just going to shut his mouth and play, let his performance speak for itself, I really wish he would do that. He can be a great player but saying stuff like this only gives critics more ammo about him. He seems to feel that the media are bringing up stuff from last season but he's conveniently forgetting that he did the interview with the Baltimore tv station and he was more than happy to rehash the entire affair with ESPN.

He is taking a bit of a beating in on talk radio and on several Titans blogs but compared to other cities, he's getting the kid gloves.

Time to quit the talk and walk the walk VY

No comments: