Friday, December 11, 2009

Where is LenDale White?

Titans running back LenDale White has been the forgotten man for the Titans this season. Most of the attention and carries have gone to Chris Johnson. While this has helped CJ's stats it hasn't meant wins for the Titans.

Anyone who watched the Titans last year knows how important LenDale White was to the team's success. He was the guy who they used in the 4th quarter to win the game for them. He scored 15 TDs last year for goodness sake. The last back todo that for the Titans wasn't even a Titan, he was an Oiler; Earl Campbell in 1979. So what gives? No one really knows, Field Goal Fisher spouts off about how the score often dictated how they used White. Then he was late for the Saturday walk-through, White said he ran out of gas, and was de-activated for the Cardinals game. Whatever the reasons, White sounds like a guy who is tired of playing the supportive teammate; especially since this is a contract year and he wants to show off his skills to potential new employers. This is what White had to say to the Titans' beat writer.
"On Wednesday, White said he’s anxious to get on the field but understands why he's had to take a backseat to Johnson, who leads the NFL in rushing with 1,509 yards. But in his fourth year with the Titans, and in the final year of his contract, he’s definitely not satisfied.
“I want to be the best I can be,’’ he said. “And no disrespect to the Titans organization at all, let’s get this clear. But if I get a chance to be the guy somewhere else I am going to go.
“I don’t want to sit here and play back-up to nobody. I refuse. I don’t want to. In my mind I have never been a guy who signed up to be a second-tier guy. I never did that. Hopefully I can stay here and we can find a way to let C.J. and me get on the field together.’’
White has 221 yards on 63 carries this season, one year after carrying 200 times for 773 yards.
“I feel like if I am a free agent,’’ White said, “a lot of teams are going to want me.’’

2 comments:

Lester's Legends said...

That's a great question. CJ has been amazing, but have they ever heard of overworking a back? LenDale should definitely have more carries than he's getting.

CowboyJoe said...

Overworking a back has NEVER been a concern of Fisher's.
I would like to know when fantasy owners began to drop LenDale, he looked like a good pickup after last year.